Acupressure Classes for Labor Prep, Labor and Postpartum
Online and In Person Classes
Acupressure to prepare for Labor
Starting around 36 weeks, partners or support people of the pregnant person can use acupressure to begin preparing for labor.
Here are some of the goals of acupressure labor prep:
- Prepare the pregnant person's body for labor (like helping to ripen the cervix)
- Release oxytocin, which helps start the positive feedback loop of oxytocin in the body
- Help the pregnant person relax
Acupressure During Labor
Acupressure can be done by your support person/people while you are in labor. We also train doulas to do acupressure. Please let us know if you need a referral to an acupressure trained doula.
Here are reasons to have acupressure done while you are in labor.
- Reduce pain and fear during labor
- Optimize baby position
- Give the support person/partner a way to be very supportive and feel useful
- Engender intimacy (with partner) during this very special time
After birth, there is still lots a support person can do with acupressure.
Some of these acupressure goals are:
- Facilitate breastfeeding
- Ease anxiety and/or depression (seek professional help as well, as needed)
- Decrease afterpains and more!
Acupressure for Labor Prep, Labor and Postpartum Class
Acupuncture Northwest & Associates proudly teaches a class for "Acupressure for Labor Prep, Labor and Postpartum". Classes are held in person at Swedish Hospital's Lytle Center and also online. You can either register at our website for the online class or at the Lytle Center on the Swedish Hospital website for the in person class. The class is $45 a couple. We recommend taking the class between 30-36 weeks but if you are already beyond that, the class will still be very useful!
Here is the info about the class:
This highly hands on and practical class will teach acupressure to help:
- Prepare the woman’s body for labor
- Reduce pain and fear in labor
- Encourage milk production and reduce afterpains in the postpartum period.
- Give the partner/support person a way to be very supportive and feel useful
- Help the couple bond during this very special time
This class is a must for any person/couple preparing for labor, whether it’s your first or third child!