Spinning Babies® is an approach to optimize the physical relationship between the bodies of the mother and baby for the easing of childbirth. Spinning Babies is a new paradigm that takes clues from baby’s position and station for natural, physiological solutions. Try it in any birth setting, childbirth program, or pain management plan.
- Align the uterus so baby can curl and enter the pelvis as a small, compact – and more active participant.
- Release tight ligaments or muscles which may pull or twist may relieve pelvic pain now or discomfort during birth.
- Open the pelvis to let baby move down during the birth process.
The three most common techniques used are:
- Forward leaning inversion is a classic of Spinning Babies®. Create room in the lower uterus. Baby will use that space, with the natural pull of gravity, to snuggle into a more ideal position for birth. The Forward-leaning Inversion technique comes from Dr. Carol Phillips, DC.
- Sidelying Release (SLR) uses a “static stretch” to temporarily, slightly enlarge and soften the pelvis. Stretching the muscle spindles in the pelvic muscles lengthens the pelvic muscles for approximately 1-4 hours. The SLR can then be repeated if needed.
- Robozo Manteada- “Manteada” is a gentle shifting, like a rhythmic jiggle. This way of using the Rebozo aims to:
- Relax tight uterine ligaments and abdominal muscles
- Help a baby rotate in pregnancy or labor more easily
- Help a birthing woman relax into her labor
Spinning Babies® is a unique approach to birth created by midwife Gail Tully.
By teaching a physiological release rather than a mechanical manipulation or force. The assumption that birth is a passenger powering through a pelvis (The old 3Ps paradigm) reduces creative, body-centered options for parent or provider alike. The release of the baby can be as natural as the release of hormones. Self-care and specific body activities restore body balance and make room for the baby. Babies can put themselves into the best positions possible for childbirth.
Spinning Babies style massage is available in the Tacoma office.