What's Your Chinese Diagnosis?
In order to discover your imbalances according to Chinese medicine, we need to root around in, well – all aspects of you, really! Use the following quizzes to discover how you tick in Chinese medicine. Once armed with your “imbalances”, we can then begin to look at ways to help you be as healthy as you can be.
Remember that Chinese medicine is subtle, finding disharmony where Western medicine wouldn’t yet, so don’t be dismayed if you come out with three or four different diagnoses. Chinese medicine’s ability to find the patterns that lead to disease makes it a powerful preventative medicine tool. And when you catch something early, it is easier to treat and often responds to changing your food choices.
What Element Are You?
There are five elements in Chinese medicine, and we often have one that is dominant (plus a few back ups).
What Is Your Chinese Medicine Diagnosis?
To get a more detailed look at your Chinese medicine diagnosis, answer yes or no to each of the following questions. Don’t worry about what the symptoms mean; just note whether you experience them. If you have more than one-third "yes" responses in any diagnostic category, then you may have an element of this imbalance in your system. You may have more than one kind of imbalance operating at the same time, too, so don’t be surprised if you have 50 percent yes answers for more than one diagnostic category.
Kidney Yin Deficiency
- Do you have lower back weakness, soreness, or pain, or knee problems?
- Do you have ringing in your ears or dizziness?
- Is your hair prematurely gray?
- Do you have dark circles around or under your eyes?
- Do you have night sweats?
- Are you prone to hot flashes?
- Would you describe yourself as afraid a lot?
- Does your tongue lack coating? Does if appear shiny or peeled?
- My skin, hair, and/or nails are dry.
- My mouth and throat often feel dry.
- I have dry eyes.
- I often feel hot.
- I sometimes feel feverish in the afternoon.
- I wake up during the night.
- I am often thirsty.
- I tend to be constipated.
- My bowel movements are hard and dry.
- I prefer colder weather.
- Given the choice, I would prefer a cold drink.
- My hands and feet tend to be hot or sweaty.
- My chest sweats, especially at night.
- I flush easily or have a red face.
- I often feel anxious or uneasy; I am a worrywart.
- I am thin.
- I am restless and fidgety.
- I am tired a lot.
- I am a restless sleeper.
- I have vivid dreams.
Kidney Yang Deficiency
- Is your low back sore or weak?
- Are your feet cold, especially at night?
- Are you typically colder than those around you?
- Is your libido low?
- Are you often fearful?
- Do you wake up at night or early in the morning because you have to urinate?
- Do you urinate frequently, and is the urine diluted and/or profuse?
- Do you have early morning loose, urgent stools?
- Do you feel cold cramps during your period that respond to a heating pad?
- Is your tongue pale, moist, and swollen?
Spleen Qi Deficiency