Birth Prep Acupressure
Using Acupressure to Prepare for Labor and Postpartum
Acupressure (and acupuncture) needs to start around 36 weeks to help a person's body prepare for labor.
Acupuncture is done on a weekly basis starting at 36 weeks and increasing to twice a week from 38 weeks onwards. During this time, a support person will begin acupressure towards the same goal - preparing a person's body for labor.
Acupuncture/Acupressure Before Labor
Starting around 36 weeks, partners or support people of the pregnant person can begin preparing for labor.
- Prepare the pregnant person's body for labor (like helping to ripen the cervix)
- Release oxytocin, which helps start the positive feedback loop of oxytocin in the body
- Help the pregnant person relax
Acupressure (and if possible acupuncture) During Labor
Can be done by your support person/people (or your acupuncturist) while you are in labor.
- Reduce pain and fear during labor
- Optimize baby position
- Give the support person/partner a way to be very supportive and feel useful
- Engender intimacy (with partner) during this very special time
Acupressure (also Acupuncture) for Postpartum
After birth, there is still lots a support person can do with acupressure or your acupuncturist.
- Facilitate breastfeeding
- Decrease afterpains and more!
Labor Prep Acupressure Class
Acupuncture Northwest & Associates proudly teaches a class for "Pre-Birth Acupressure". Classes are held twice a month online. You can either register online at the Lytle Center on the Swedish Hospital website or through our website. The class is $45 a couple. We recommend taking the class between 28-35 weeks but if you are already beyond that, the class will still be very useful!
Here is the info about the class:
This highly hands on and practical class will teach acupressure to help:
- Prepare the woman’s body for labor
- Reduce pain and fear in labor
- Encourage milk production and reduce afterpains in the postpartum period.
- Give the partner/support person a way to be very supportive and feel useful
- Help the couple bond during this very special time
This class is a must for any person/couple preparing for labor, whether it’s your first or third child!
There's an app for that!
The app will show you the points and how to use them in order to be prepared for labor.
"Acupressure for Natural Pain Relief in Labour" App. You can get it here for the iPhone.
Or you can Get the video here.