Acupuncture During Pregnancy (And Beyond)
Seattle, Tacoma & Bellevue Clinics
I value a blend of Eastern and Western medicine and the exceptional providers at Acupuncture NW & Associates and I collaborate to help the families I work with achieve their goals. - Erica Wikan, CNM,
University of Washington - Montlake Midwives (excerpt from full text found here)
Many people ask if acupuncture is safe during pregnancy and the answer is: yes! Just make sure that you see an acupuncturist that is trained in pregnancy acupuncture.
Here at Acupuncture Northwest & Associates, our Seattle, Bellevue and Tacoma acupuncture clinics specialize in pregnancy acupuncture. We treat women from the moment of preconception through pregnancy into the postpartum period and beyond. When we say the “moment of preconception”, we are drawing on the idea that as soon as you know that you want to have children in the future (this appies to both men and women) that is when you should begin preparing for pregnancy. For more information about the preconception period, see our fertility section.
In this section, we will talk about acupuncture for pregnancy and how Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can support you through each of the trimesters and rebuilding afterwards for a healthier future and/or preparing for another child.
- We will discuss how pregnancy acupuncture can help with miscarriage prevention and easing nausea in the 1st trimester.
- Then we will look at the 2nd trimester and how pregnancy acupuncture can treat issues that arise during the second trimester.
- In the 3rd trimester, we work on Pre-Birth Acupuncture to prepare the body for labor and turning breech babies.
- We also teach a Pre-Birth Acupressure Class to help the couple prepare for labor at home and for the partner to learn effective strategies for pain reduction during labor.
- Finally, in the 4th trimester, the postpartum period, we will look how postpartum acupuncture can support the new mother through mother warming and acupuncture to support lactation, reduce depression, anxiety, pain and other postpartum issues.
We are fully committed to helping you give birth to a healthy baby and want to be with you every exciting step of the way.